Friday, June 1, 2007

Rant #2: Snobby Mcsnob

Let me get on my soap box for a second: westerners in China tend to get treated differently then most Asians primarily because of our skin color. In different I mean there is a double standard here in China in that most westerners can get away with things that a Chinese person couldn't, plus there are many things that people in authority will look the other way on just because you are white. This of course has advantages, for example we can pretty much walk into any apartment compound without getting a double look, whereas most Chinese would have to show some kind of ID or prove that they have a friend in the compounds (apartment compounds here in China are gated with security guards just as a FYI). As a westerner you can even walk around not even knowing the language and still stroll with a certain chip on your shoulder that you are better then the people here, which is just plain stupid.

The reason I bring this up is I don't like it when I see a westerner walking around with a clear chip on their shoulder. I feel defeated in cases where I need to communicate but can't, some westerners just don't care cause they believe they are above the people and the language (mostly stemming from the fact that they make more money and feel that they are more educated). The other night there was a westerner who was trying to get into our apartment compound and was, surprisingly, actually stopped by our guards to show his card. He was clearly not from our compound and he did not speak any Mandarin and just tried to walk by the guard ignoring him. When the guard confronted him he just pointed forward and started walking. Then the guard stepped in front of him and basically told him to stop, well he just ignored the guard and moved aside and kept walking. This is what I try not to be over here in China. I recognize that I don't speak the language, but to totally disrespect someone like that just because you don't care is just not right.

I really dislike westerners who are like this and unfortunately they are all over the place here in China, and that's just terrible.

Sorry for that rant, now I will just go back to breaking chairs.

No comments: