Monday, June 4, 2007

We're headed to Abearica

I know that you all have been hanging on the edge of your seats for a weekend update (all 1 of you); anyway here are some highlights from this past weekend:

-When talking with Maddie we asked her where Jacob was born and she said, "China." When we asked her where she was born she didn't know, so we said you were born in America. She replied with, "Abearica, why?" Ah Abearica, must be the magical land that my daughter envisions America to be with its free enterprise, survival of the fittest government, grizzly inhabitants, no feeding the citizens signs everywhere and the free flowing honey fountains. God Bless Abearica.

-Renee and I celebrated our anniversary by going to Paulaner, a German restaurant here in Shanghai. We had seats over looking the Huangpu River and the kids were being watched by friends. The food took a little while to get to us, but honestly it didn't matter cause we were just enjoying our time together and our conversations, so in this case the restaurant did us a favor by being slow.

-I thought over the weekend that I needed to start a "Where am I on the Parenting scale." I think that as I blog more and more about my daughter and son you all will get some kind of opinion as to what kind of parent I am, so I might as well just come out and say it. Obviously on the scale 10 would be the best and 0 would be the worst parent ever. Certain events in my parenting experience will cause me to slide drastically up and down the scale, but to give it a start I think I am about a 7.5 on the scale. I am not a perfect 10 primarily because I think we let our daughter watch a little too much TV and we definitely let her have candy and other snacks that she really shouldn't get in the habit of eating, I guess the whole event this weekend where I walked in on my daughter juggling knives and smoking a cigarette probably made me fall a couple of points also (joking, she was actually only trying to play with a lighter, oops, maybe I'm a 6).

-We went with some friends to a new Tapas place, Mejor Tapas. The food wasn't that bad, it actually has a lunch menu of Mexican food and a dinner menu of Spanish tapas and other dishes like paella. The paella was not the best in the world, but it will do considering we are in China. All in all, we had a good experience and would probably go back sometime in the future.

No comments: