Friday, June 8, 2007

Not So Compassionate

A couple of posts ago I introduced the parent scale. I said I was around a 6.5, well I think I have offically dropped to 5.5. My wife, Renee, pointed out a news story her father told her about a year or so ago. The news story cited some scientific study that showed that infants are more compassionate then adults. They were somehow able to prove that when an infant sees another infant crying, they begin to cry, which was supposidly some kind of indicator that the infant is being compassionate for the other baby.



Well, this little scientific study doesn't ring true in our family. In fact our kids seem to get pleasure out of other's pain. They are usually found laughing hysterically when Renee or I get hurt (whether it is fake or real) as if they were watching a good episode of Mork and Mindy. They are also really curious when they hear other babies crying, curious to see what is going on rather then beginning to cry when they hear they other cry. I'm sure this somehow reflects poorly on Renee and I, hence why I continue to slip down the parent scale.



In other news I had a dream the other night that I was trying to defrost red meat in my bed. Not sure why in dreamland I thought this was a good idea and I'm not sure why my wife would allow me to defrost meat in the bed. So what does this say about my mind, not sure, but what I can say is it would make for a great feature film, "Sleeping with Salmonella!" Starring me and Whoopi Goldberg (as the defrosting meat).

No comments: