Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Far Far Away

I'm currently away from Shanghai on business and missing the fam, but alas the blog must go on.

I am in a city called Panyu in the Guangdong province (southern China). Today is a Hong Kong Holiday, the Dragon Boat Festival, so while all my Hong Kong colleagues are enjoying their day off, I get to be working on an always fun client down here in the middle of nowhere. Actually the client is in the middle of nowhere, but they put me up in a hotel, the Panyu Hotel, that is in the middle of things, there is not only a McDonalds within walking distance, but there is also a Seven Eleven close. Some side notes to clarify this sentence:
  • First, having a McDonalds close by is a huge thing because they are mostly in the big cities, so it is a huge deal to have one in a "smaller" town.
  • Second, I am currently debating whether Chinese hotel food is better then McDonalds....conclusion, probably should starve myself for dinner.
  • Third, I am visiting the Seven Eleven tonight, I have only ever seen them in Hong Kong, so I am excited to explore this one (please let them be experimenting with the introduction of Slurpees)

Anyway, Panyu reminds me of Hong Kong like no other city in mainland China, so it has the aura of familiarity even though I have never been here.

No comments: