Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Stories from the Subway


Two quick stories from my recent adventures riding the subway:

What's that smell????
Deodorant is still not that common of a toiletry here in China, so you can imagine that when I ride the subway home after a day at work in the 90 degree heat, there are some odd smells that seem to waft from people (not too dissimilar from the wafting that comes from pepe le pew's tail). Even after you think that you have smelled some of the weirdest of body odors there always seems to be a time when the worst of the smells just hit you. As you might know, it is very loud to ride on a subway, and everyone is really really cramped into the car during the time going to work and going home from work. It appears that this gives certain people the freedom to let the gasses that have accumulated for the whole day to be released for all to enjoy. You know when you see someone yawn and it makes you yawn and then all the other people around you yawn, this is by far the worst part about the releasing of gas because it becomes like a bad chain reaction cause once one person has done it, it seems like it just is this never ending smell of people's flatulence on the subway. I learn more and more to then appreciate getting off the subway and enjoying the polluted air of Shanghai.

I don't even know you?
I am not sure that many Americans can imagine how crowded the subway is during the peak time. Granted I ride on Line 2, which isn't even the busiest line, but there are times when you stuffed in the subway pretty tight with no room to even move. It was at one of those times that the subway made its next stop, I thought to myself that there is no way anyone else can get on this train, but alas the 15 people standing to get in the door I was closest too, somehow found a way to get in. It was at this point that I had a guy kept backing more and more into me, as a reminder he was already "all up on" me, but I guess we were making room for the 15 additional people. He was able to squeeze his left leg in between my legs, imagine human Jenga. Now I am comfortable with my manhood, but this scene was too similar to that of a Mississippi Mudhound in heat, so yeah, it was very uncomfortable to basically have this guy's leg all up on my man area. Anyway, I have been able to avoid this uncomfortable situation by conveniently placing my back pack in front of me, thus eliminating the human Jenga session on the subway.

3 comments:

Rahul said...

hahahaha.......that's acrazy story...by the way, how'd u get a job in China?

Rahul said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matt said...

rahul, actually I work for an international CPA firm that was offering positions here in China. My family and I felt like it would be a great adventure, I applied and got the position, so we packed up and headed over here. But there are so many Company's over here looking for good people, that if you wanted to experience China, it might not be that hard to find something here.