Thursday, March 19, 2009

The upset


For the last two years I have given you all a nice upset pick for the NCAA tournament. Both years, I was right with my upset picks. I have no parameters for my pick other then I make 1 pick based on a lower seed beating a higher seed. Under this system, I can pick an 8 vs 9 game and pick the 9 seed and that would be an upset, but I usually avoid this since this isn't interesting enough. Two years ago I called the Winthrop upset over Notre Dame (an 11 over a 6), last year I called the Kansas State over USC upset (another 11 over 6), while I am not committing to always calling an 11 over 6 upset, I decided that out of all my upsets, this was the most far reaching and thus could put in jeopardy my streak…making it fun to publish. So you're probably thinking great, he is going to pick VCU over UCLA like everyone else…nope, that is too easy and since everyone else is picking it, I figure it probably won't happen. Actually I am going with a little bit of a surprise. If you read my blog, you will know that I am a huge Big East fan, so it is hard for me not to pick the Big East teams to go far in the tournament. But alas, not every team can win, so, while I understand that West Virginia had a nice run at the end of the season, I can see the Dayton Flyers pulling off the 11 over 6 seed upset. So there you go, hopefully I can continue my streak by going out on a limb here. Enjoy the tournament.

No comments: