Monday, March 23, 2009

Let's Go 'Nova....


After my documented worries during my running diary, there were not many things to worry about on Saturday when my boys, Villanova, played UCLA. UCLA clearly being a better team than American, but 'Nova played their type of game and were able to dominate UCLA basically the whole game. So after a scare in the first round, 'Nova was able to pull it together to easily advance onto the Sweet Sixteen.

Next up, Duke…which is a team that is on a much different level then American or UCLA. So I am worried…yes…if we play like we did during the first half of the American game, we will get destroyed…if we play like we did against UCLA, then we should keep it very competitive. Duke is the better team of the two teams, but I believe we have a good fighters chance to advance onto the Elite Eight…but can't think too far ahead…first up…Duke in Boston.
As for history with this matchup, I can only find one other time that these two teams played each other. In November of 2000, Duke beat Villanova 98-85 at Duke. Carlos Boozer, Shane Battier, and Chris Duhon (all NBAers) beat up on the 'Nova team whose start player Michael Bradley couldn't keep up with the Duke. I don't think this year's Duke team is quite on the level of the 2000 team, but we shall see.

No comments: