Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Boycott that never was...


Way back when, I thought about writing a blog entry about my unofficial boycott of my hometown baseball team the Orioles. My boycott was going to be to not pay attention to anything Orioles or baseball in general this whole season. I guess my justification for not writing a blog entry was mostly because I thought if I wrote an entry I would have been talking about them, so it was quite the conundrum (kind of similar to the Cowboys saying they would keep TO and then cutting him…only not). The reason I was going to boycott baseball is because there is no justice in the free agent market for the small market teams like the Orioles and I have had to endure free agent after free agent go to the Orioles division rivals the Yankees (aka, the evil empire) and the Red Sox (aka, the formally cursed team that everyone wants to play for now that the curse has been lifted). My frustration hit a breaking point when a "hometown boy," Mark Teixeira decided to go with the Yankees. I put hometown boy in quotes because regardless of how much money was being offered, if you grew up in the Baltimore area and were truly an Orioles fan, there would be no amount of money that should inspire you to go to the Yankees…kind of like St. Josephs is to Villanova (man do I seriously dislike that stupid St. Joes Hawk and his flappy-ness).

Anyway, I say all this because…well…the boycott is over. Yeah, I didn't have the guts to go through with it, and to be honest, the O's are my boys, I can't leave them hanging. I know they will probably only win like 60 games this season, but who cares, I have endured 11 straight losing seasons, what's another one on the list? So, as has been the tradition, before opening day this year, I will give my true prediction of the O's for the season…I know all you readers (me) can't wait.

No comments: