Monday, March 9, 2009

Gotta get some Intimacy


I am not sure why music reviewers like to say this, but a big plus for the critics is if your sound as a band is "maturing" which translates to being different then your previous album(s). I never understood this concept of desiring bands to "mature," there are certain bands that make great albums and they never "mature".

Bloc Party was one of those bands whose sound didn't vary significantly from their first to second album and I must say that those two albums were amazing. So then comes the 3rd album, which reviewers were saying is a more "mature" sound for Bloc Party…that was a warning signal for me. Usually when I love listening to a band and their sound "matures" I tend to start hating that band…I guess maybe that is a sign that I never mature.

To be honest one of my favorite bands is Bloc Party, yet, somehow I totally missed the release of their 3rd studio album back in October 2008. Being over here in China, I have been pretty far out of it and I usually just check in on the bands that I like every 2 years or so to see how the progress of their new album is coming along since I am not able to see them live. So that is basically my excuse for missing the release, hopefully that is good enough for you.

Bloc Party's 3rd studio album is titled "Intimacy," and definitely has some different elements to it then the first 2 albums…both of which, I can listen to in their entirety and never get old of the whole albums. This album is different because there are definitely some bumps in the road, meaning there are some tracks I flat out can't listen to. It starts out with a bang…in the case of "Ares," not a great bang. Not sure what they were thinking when they put this track together, but it is definitely a little off. Halo comes in on the 3rd track and it is conceptually a great Bloc Party song, but it misses on many levels. The album is redeemed with great tracks such as Biko, Signs, Zephyrus, Talons, Ion Square and Flux, but the couple of misses brings down the grade of the album. Overall I would say if you liked their first 2 albums, go get this one…otherwise this is not one of the best albums of 2008, it gets a 3 out of 5 gerken pickles.

No comments: