Friday, March 6, 2009

Super 'Nova


If you are an avid reader of this blog (and let's face it, the only avid reader of this blog is me), then you might know that my alma mater is Villanova University outside of Philadelphia. While I am a huge college basketball fan and, of course, a huge fan of 'Nova's team, I have not written much over the course of the college basketball season mostly because I just didn't want to jinx what my boys were doing this season. Well the regular season is over and they ended at 25-6 for the season…not too shabby. While I still feel like I could jinx them (thus having them fail in their first games in the Big East and NCAA tournaments), I am feeling like I had to at least mention their successes this year…for some reason I just think St. Thomas of Villanova would look down on me (literally) if I didn't mention them. This is the first year that they have won 25 games since 1951 and they will probably end the season ranked the highest in a couple of years. Overall, I am amazed at how a small Catholic school in the Mid-Atlantic region has found a way over these past 6 years to not only be competitive, but to really be a team to look out for in one of the best (if not the best) conference in the country, the Big East. They have somehow been able to beat out the big name schools in the conference and the region for some of the best recruits and continue to make trips deep into the NCAA tournament. This year they will be the 4th seed in the Big East tournament, which in the current year means they get byes in the first 2 rounds and their first game will be next Thursday in the quarterfinals. Even though I feel like I am jinxing them by writing this entry, I will commit to update all my loyal readers (me) of the progress of my boys during both the Big East tournament and the Big Dance. Hopefully this gets me motivated to write some more entries.

No comments: