Thursday, March 26, 2009

At first I was Frightened....


…Frightened that I had made a big mistake in buying the Frightened Rabbit album that was released in 2008. When I did my first listen of this album, I really didn't think there were more then 1 or 2 good tracks. Well, after giving myself a couple more listens, I discovered some hidden gems in this album. The album, The Midnight Organ Fight, is the band's second studio album, I can't compare it to their previous because I have never heard anything from it. The music on the album can be best described as being raw…raw lyrics, raw vocals and raw sounds. As I said, a first listen might leave you wanting more from the album, but after a couple of listens you start to see what the band is trying to do. The lyrics are nothing to write home to mom about; lyrics such as, "you're s**t and I'm knee deep in it" from the track Backwards Walk or "Jesus is just a Spanish boys name" or even "I think I'll save suicide for another day," give a clear indication that the band members probably haven't had the most inspirational life, but there is still a lot of emotional truths being belted through the different tracks. The tracks that I can't stop listening to include the first 3 tracks of the album, The Modern Leper, I Feel Better, and Good Arms vs Bad Arms, but there are other tracks that continue to grow on me that include Fast Blood, Poke and Floating In the Forth. Overall the album is a good listen once you get used to the bands style. If you are looking for some good, but different music, this is a good album to purchase. Overall I give it 3 out of 5 gerken pickles.

No comments: