Thursday, August 30, 2007

Annual dinner and...

I am currently in Hong Kong for my Company's annual dinner that happened on Wednesday night. It was a fun time that included a nice meal at the Hong Kong Convention Center and I spent the night getting to know the US secondees that are located in Hong Kong (all of which I had not yet met during my time here in China). After the annual dinner we all decided to go out, one of the guys knows a DJ that we were going to meet in the Wan Chai district. Now I still don't know much about Hong Kong and it was briefly explained to me that the Wan Chai district is not the most wholesome district in the world, again not totally knowing what that meant I went along with them and quickly found out what that meant. You see the Wan Chai district has a lot of "working" women and "working" is in quotes because I am not referring to college graduate professionals. Just walking down the street should have been enough for me to say, "I see you guys tomorrow." But I was thinking that maybe we would be going to a place that wouldn't be too sketchy. We eventually get to a bar that was full of these women and sketchy men. The DJ friend got us seats, but I really could only sit for a little bit before it was time to go, this scene is definitely not my speed. On my way out my butt was grabbed a couple of times, which just reinforced that it was a good idea to get out of there while the night when I did. Without getting on a soapbox, it is actually really sad to watch the interaction of the people in that place to see just how empty their lives are to be spending their time on a Wednesday night at a place like that. Oh well, I was there with some colleagues who we were able to laugh about some of the things going on at that bar, which at least gave the night some redemptive value.

No comments: