Sunday, August 26, 2007

High School Mattical

I had dinner plans the other evening and was leaving the apartment at around 6pm for a friends house. Upon leaving my apartment building, I saw one of our neighbors coming towards me so I waved and said "Hi." She was taken a little back when she took a double take at me and said, "Oh, Hi Matt." She went on to explain that she thought I was a new teenager in the building and didn't think it was me. Now I know that most adults are trying to keep their youth and look younger, but I don't think I do this (if you disagree tell me). I am not sure if I should take being called a teenager a compliment or should I be offended by it. Clearly it tells me that I still have my boyish good looks (note that these boyish good looks, when I was actually a teenager, landed me one girlfriend, so they were not that great), but it also confirms the fact that as a father of 2 kids at 26, I am a little out of place here in China (most expat dads are in their late 30's or 40's). I look back and am glad that I still appear younger then I am, since most people assume I am in my mid-30's (2 kids and in Shanghai with a Company is how most people come to this conclusion).

No comments: