Friday, March 9, 2007

What are you thinking?

The Baltimore Ravens traded a 3rd and 7th round pick in 2007 and another 3rd round pick to Buffalo for Willis Mcgahee (finally the Ravens have a solid guy of Irish heritage on their team). Maybe 5 years ago I would have said, great deal, this is definitely a step up, but in 2007 this deal smells a little like my breath in the morning. You are going to get a special two "outs" today, with the first being: Paying a high price for a running back is OUT!!!!! I know, they actually did not pay that much for Mcgahee, but what they did pay was too much. As you might be noticing, there are good to great NFL running backs that come out of the late rounds of the draft and can make an impact on the team for a much cheaper price then paying a high priced stud (I believe Chester Taylor had a better season then Edgerrin James). So a smart move would have been to use the 3rd round pick on a running back that could help them out for a couple of years at a cheap price tag, and utilize your already 2 decent running backs in Mike Anderson and Musa Smith to help the rookie learn the ropes. As a side note, RIP to Mike Anderson, you were signed last year with hopes to be the stud in Baltimore, now you are most likely going to be 3rd stringer, sorry man. Back to what I was talking about, the era of paying veteran running backs a lot of money is pretty much gone (unless you are the Texans or Cardinals who are destined to botch their top 5 first round picks for eternity so it really doesn't matter). Newsome usually does a great job, but on this one I am dumbfounded.

In: Social Justice. Yes friends social justice is in (actually this should never be out, ever), but statistics show that more Americans volunteered for causes last year then in recent history. So big ups to those volunteers and keep it up. Especially in the US, I think people are finally realizing that we have so much and also that we have so much to give back, so I hope that people continue to see how awesome it is to give back to those in need (both in the US and all over the world) as there is still so much you can get involved in. Need any ideas, feel free to ask me.

Out: American Idol. This is my first non-sports "out" (even though there is one above), and I realize I am probably 2-3 seasons too late on this one. Okay so about 30 million Americans still watch this modified karaoke contest, but that is more a sign that A: More Americans are watching TV in general and B: Programming on TV is pretty bad right now, so there aren't that many alternatives. I know Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are probably the 2 big standout winners and they have done well in their own rights, but I stumbled upon it last night (on my pirated Philipino Satellite) and it was just not good, I don't know why this thing is still a hit. This show is heading towards a Survivor like downfall, and I predict it starts to happen next season, so American Idol 2010 will basically be the death of the show.

No comments: