Monday, May 28, 2007

The Matt that broke the chair's back



Before coming over to Shanghai, I was in a client's office working on an audit. I sat in one of their chairs and it broke. It is a HUGE wakeup call when you start sitting in chairs and they break. Basically it was the chair's message that I was really overweight (for those of you who have not been keeping up I was about 50lbs heavier back in the States before coming over here). So being that I am a couple of lb's less then I was back in the States, I decided that my chair breaking days were behind me, then.....

Today I was at a client's location outside of Shanghai in Songjiang. I still have a little ways to go before I am at a "healthy" weight, but it is certainly a great wake up call when you start breaking things cause you are so big. The client came into talk with me today and I leaned back in one of their chairs and it started to recline, then it just kept reclining. Now, let me say right now, the chairs are not designed to recline at all, so the fact that it started to recline should have been a sign, but I digress. To describe the chair, it didn't have 4 legs rather it had one metal bar that made a U shape on the ground then was bent upwards and then made another U shape to support the seat. So when the chair broke, what I was actually doing was putting so much weight on the back of the seat that the metal just bent backwards. When the chair was bent all the way back it was near impossible for me to get up (imagine having all your weight leaning back and you just wanting to stand up), so the client had to help me up, all the while he couldn't help himself from laughing hysterically, yey for me.


I guess the best part was the fact that we followed up the really awkward moment with a "lost in translation" awkward conversation of which I started by saying, "Sorry for your chair," and he replied by saying, "Sorry for you." Yes sir indeed, sorry for me.
IN: Transformers - I know I am late on this one, but the movie has still not yet come out, so I guess I am early. This will be the dawning of a series of at least 4 movies in the series of Transformer real action movies. For anyone who grew up on the cartoon Transformers of the eighties (not that sucky stuff that came out in the '90's), we always dreamed of what a real action movie would look like, and look what we have. Now for the real fans you will already know that Transformers did itself full circle with the original characters by having that great cartoon movie (chock full of one curse word), but some good things never die. I'm sure the movie will be full of shallow action scenes, but really how deep can Transformers get, to say the least I am excited, my only wish is that the toys were still made out of some cheap metal from Taiwan, the taste of which was out of this world.


OUT: Marine Biology - Let me get this straight, we invented machines that can fly, we invented machines that could go underwater, we send people into space all the time, and we invented a juicer that will make me look 10 years younger, but we can't figure out a way to get whales from one body of water to another. Hmmmm...this sounds a little fishy (sorry for that). Really, how hard is it to take some whales from a river and send them back into the OCEAN (is the ocean really that small)? Or maybe they just want to celebrate good ole Memorial Day with every one, so throw them a plankton burger and let's let them celebrate already. Come on marine biology try to get past 1956.

No comments: