Friday, May 25, 2007

I got clubbed


I know, it has been a while, but for all you fans, sorry I was just not motivated to write any blogs over this week. But alas, I will start her up again.


Last Friday night Renee and I volunteered to help out with a dance night for this youth program here in Shanghai. We headed out to the artsy district here in Shanghai (Moganshan Lu for anyone interested) and got there early to get our assignments. I was one of the guys put onto security duty for the night, so basically I just had to make sure there was no drugs or alcohol or anything like that (all the students attending were in high school, so while the drinking age is 18, the event was drug/alcohol free). The night was actually a fun night, or so it seemed as I was not able to look like I was enjoying it cause I had to keep a straight face like I was legit security. Yes and I looked quite legit cause I was sporting my yellow SECURITY shirt from Target coupled with the fact that I was about 5 inches shorter then most of the teenage guys there, quite intimidating. They brought in a band named Mishkin from the UK who, while not my type of music (harder alternative), wasn't bad, although my football coach put it best when he said, "even the ugly girls start to look good after being around all guys." So I guess after all that Chinese pop has made even bad rock music sound good. They also brought in a DJ, DJ Email, supposidly the #1 DJ in China, but I have not idea what that means. Anyway, he played the regular club music and it was good. I have never been to a legit club myself, so all the dances I attended would play popular hip hop music (can anyone say "Midwest Swing"), so actually hearing the club dance music was fun.
The only real security thing that I did was I prevented a kid from jumping on stage when Mishkin was playing, that was actually the only security event that happened all night, so I have become a little bit of a legend, but that's to be expected wherever I go.
Renee and I got the chance to stay out until 1am, which is probably a first for us, but we both had fun at the event and staying out late, although that 6am wake up call from my daughter doesn't help with staying out late, oh well.


No comments: