Monday, September 17, 2007

I am not rich

Renee came with me to Hong Kong last week when I was there for business. On the first day she had done some travelling and then came to the office to go out to lunch with me. Unfortunately, myself and a US partner went out for an early lunch so we missed each other. Right before she left she asked the receptionist where would be a good place to go shopping. Now, I must say that it is pretty widely assumed that white skinned westerners have a good deal of money to throw around, so of course, when she asked, they just responded with the fact that there was a lot of great shops in the same building of our office along with surrounding buildings. Just to clarify to you all, the shops that I pass on my way to the office in the Hong Kong building include Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, and Armani Exchange, so the assumption by our receptionist was that my wife would have enough money to throw around in these very high class shops. Now we are very blessed, but we certainly do not have the funds to go shopping at the same shops that millionaires shop at (I don't even think I can afford the cuff links at Louis Vuitton). Anyway, when my wife was asking abut the bargain street market, she got some weird looks, but eventually made it to a place where she spent about 1/1000 of what she would have otherwise spent. I guess that's the tough life of us richie riches.

No comments: