Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Planes, Trains and Automobiles


My family and I have been in China for just over 2 ½ years and as of yesterday I had taken basically every form of reasonable transportation offered by China, car, subway, short ferry (across a river), long ferry (from Hong Kong to China), bus, bicycle, motorcycle, airplane and magnetic levitation train. The only things left on my transportation agenda was the ever so famous rickshaw and then the not as famous regular train.

Well today, I was able to knock one of those things out. Today I took a train from Shanghai to the Changzhou; the trip took a little over 1 hour. The ride was good and smooth, we took one of the new D trains that is a little higher speed (and slightly more expensive) then the regular trains, I think our top speed was around 175 km/h or about 115 miles per hour. For just under 8 US dollars, I got to sit in first class, which was nice…for a train. Anyway, now that my Chinese train virginity has been taken away from me, I hope that my family and I can begin to explore the areas around Shanghai via train as it is by far a much cheaper alternative to having to hire a driver for a day. By the way, Changzhou is not a place to really put on your itineraries if you ever come to China, it really has nothing going on with the exception of one large pagoda in the middle of town and a temple on a hill, but you can see those things almost anywhere.

No comments: