Monday, October 20, 2008

One Day in Macau


As I already mentioned, I had a chance to spend one day in Macau a couple of weeks ago. This was my first visit to the small island, and most likely my last, not because I was disappointed, but more because I think I got to see it all. Macau is now famous for being the gambling mecca over here in Asia, but not being a gambler, I was more interested in seeing some of the sights.

After arriving, I headed right for the most famous landmark, the ruins of St. Paul's Cathedral. It was a decent landmark, but I was by far more blown away by the architecture throughout town. Macau Island is very small and so is very conducive to walking all over the place. This is good because it gives someone a chance to check out the different architecture around town. Macau was run by the Portuguese which contributed to the Mediterranean/Portuguese architecture that is found all over town. It is really cool to think about the fact that you are in China, but you get to walk down streets and feel like you are in the middle of Europe.


After checking out the sights, I went to the Venetian Macau, which some people suggest to go see as a tourist since it has so many cool aspects to it. The inside of the Venetian was nice, they did do a good job of putting in all the gaudy things to make it look like an old school Italian building, but it was a little too fake. I did get a chance to try Fatburger that has a location in the Macau, and it was just alright. This is one of those US West Coast Burger chains that have been really hyped up to me and to be honest, I was disappointed. There wasn't anything too great about it, in fact I'll take my US east coast Five Guys over anything that Fatburger puts out. It could be the fact that I was in Macau having it, but I probably won't be making a return anytime soon.
Overall, this is a nice place to go if you have an extra day after hanging out in Southern China or Hong Kong (which probably many of you don't have), but probably not a place that you need to go out of your way to go see on an individual trip as there is just not enough stuff to do (my total time on Macau for all the stuff I talked about above was less then 5 hours).

No comments: