Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Big Dance


I must first admit that my blog has not adequately reflected how excited I am that March Madness has been going on and the NCAA tournament is upon us. I also have to admit that, outside of my own desire, I have not watched any college basketball games this season, but have been able to keep up with the goings ons via reading articles. I was so giddy to wake up on Monday morning, my time, and see the teams gradually getting selected into the tourney (via the internet) and almost jumped out of my chair when my boys, Villanova, made it into the tourney. Oh Man, I can't wait to get up in the early morning hours to watch 'Nova play Clemson. Of course being a homer, I picked them to win the game, which I'll admit is a stretch, but you can't count them out, they have really come on strong here late in the season.

I have filled out my brackets, I am the type of guy who will fill out 4 or 5 brackets, but they will all have the same results for all the games (so I fill in one bracket and just copy it into the different leagues or contests that I enter). The good thing about being over here is that I don't have to fake like I'm working while watching the games, rather I can just wake up at midnight and watch the games until the morning rolls around. This will be my first season where I didn't follow college basketball too closely, someone has told me that because of this I will do much better with my tourney picks as it is always the person who knows nothing that wins these things, well, I'll be testing that theory this year and see if I do any better.

Finally last year, I decided to make one pick as the one big upset of the first round to post on my blog. While Villanova appears to be an upset, I am not making that my official pick, I just chalk that up to being a blind homer. To continue this tradition, I have decided to pick Kansas State over USC in the first round. I know this is not as big of a stretch as picking Winthrop last year, I just am not feeling some of the lower tier teams this year, I feel like the field is pretty strong, so go with K-State and the best freshman in D-1, Michael Beasley as your big bracket buster this year (sorry OJ Mayo, best of luck in the NBA).

3 comments:

Awesome Yankee Fan said...

Michael Beasley???? the best player in D-1...seriously???? I realized you are in China, but over here in the states it's all about K Love baby!!!!

Matt said...

Hmm..Kevin Love or Michael Beasley, let me think...Beasley 100% of the time. Beasley averaged 26.5 points per game, while Love had a pathetic 17.1, Beasley had a higher 3pt%, more steals, and more blocks. Beasley did his stats with no one else on the team, opponents of UCLA had to also deal with Shipp, Collison, and Mbah a Moute in addition to Love, which freed Love up and he should have been able to do something better with that advantage and he couldn't. When you play K-State you make your game plan around Beasley, and teams still couldn't stop him. Stop being a blind homer on this one Ashley, there is just no comparison. By the way 100% of the NBA scouts agree with me, see where Beasley will be going in the draft this June...probably top 3, way ahead of Love. Sorry, no love for K-Love

Matt said...

By the way, Kevin Love isn't even the best white player in the country (see Tyler Hansborough)...that's even worse for him.