Friday, March 14, 2008

Beached Whale Shows Up in Shanghai


In case you haven't seen my humor, the beached whale would be me. Another fun moment that would otherwise get lost in translation, but since I have been here long enough, I have learned how to literally translate things said to me in broken English. On my way out of a client the other day one of the guys I was working with said, "Why do you need such a heavy coat? You are so strong." I have found that the literal translation to this statement is, "Why do you need a coat, doesn't all the fat around your bones give you enough insulation?" So the lesson for those readers who are thinking of coming to China, when someone says you are strong, they mean you are fat and when someone says you are handsome, they are trying to sell you something and rip you off. So when the same person says that you are strong and handsome, you are probably about to be ripped off and then have to stretch you belt out to the next link.

No comments: