Monday, November 19, 2007

Linkin Park Concert


Many of you know that I really enjoyed going to see concerts when I was back Stateside, but I have been going through serious withdraw ever since being here in Shanghai, which is pretty deficient in the rock scene. So when I saw that a band that I somewhat enjoyed their music was coming to Shanghai, I jumped all over the chance of going to see them. Yes, last night Linkin Park made there debut in mainland China here in Shanghai at an outside stadium venue, Hongkou Stadium. There were probably about 18,000 fans who braved the cold weather to watch LP, and in my humble opinion, the fans were not disappointed.

LP put on a really good show, as I said above, I am not their biggest fan, but whether you like them or hate them, all they do is produce hits. I know that if you're not a big fan of screamer type bands they might not be your choice, but screaming is not their whole bit. I mean they only have 3 albums out and they played for over 1 ½ hours and basically 80% were singles that have been heavily played on US radio. There are not many bands that can play for that long with that many hits after only 3 albums, so, again, like them or not, all they do is make hits.

Again, this was my first concert here in China, and the fans were great. Actually they started to chant the equivalent of get off the stage to the opening band Thin Man, a Chinese Band (I actually kind of liked Thin Man's music, but the fans were clearly there for one thing). But they went wild when Linkin Park came on, they really had some good energy and they seemed to really like the more screamy parts of the songs.

All in all, LP definitely hit #2 on my scale of huge scale rock band concerts that I have been to (no one has yet to come close to U2 during their Vertigo tour), but they were definitely leaps and bounds above one of my favorite big scale rock bands, Coldplay, who formerly held the #2 position. That and the fact that there are not that many people that can say that they saw LP in their debut concert in China (okay so about 18,000 other people in the world).

No comments: