Thursday, April 26, 2007

Did I just get dirtier?

Right now I am in the middle of nowhere China, to be a little more exact I am about 30km outside of Shijiazhuang (capital of the Hebei province), in total I am about 150km away from Beijing. I arrived at an airport that literally has 5 places for planes to dock, we were the only plane that had arrived that afternoon and the airport had no one in it except for the passengers that just arrived along with myself. It was by far the smallest airport I had ever been to in my life.

I got to our hotel last night after working a little to find that it was the absolute dirtiest hotel room I have ever stayed in. The bathroom was utterly disgusting and the rest of the room was pretty filthy. I have been in hotels in remote places here in China before, but they were bearable, this one has taken the cake. I didn't bring my camera, so I can't show any pictures, but I think you would be sick to your stomach if you saw pictures. The room has a nice strong odor of smoke (non-smoking rooms basically don't exist here in China, so all my clothes smell like I have been sitting at a seedy bar somewhere). I chose to take a shower this morning and am currently questioning whether I would have been cleaner had I not taken the shower, that's how bad the bathroom is. To put it in perspective, I believe the bathroom was original supposed to be white tile, but now it not only has a nice yellow layer of crust, it also has areas that are dirtier then the dirt roads outside of the hotel. Listen, when we were younger, my dad thought it would be a good idea to stay at the South of the Border Hotel, well that hotel room was pretty bad (the worst I've seen in the States), but this one is much much worse.

So to those of you in the States, think of all the goodness you have in at least having the option of a non-smoking room and knowing that even in the most remote areas of the country that you are able to get a half decent hotel room.

No comments: