Saturday, April 14, 2007

Are you in pain or....


This post is a couple of days late, but I am trying to put things in chronological order so that you all can follow more easily. On Monday Renee started to experience significant pains in her kidney area. As a little bit of a background, she has had a history of kidney stones, so it was safe to assume that she was passing a stone. I rushed home from work to be able to take her to our local medical clinic. She was yelling and screaming from the immense pain, and, since we don't have a car, we had to wave down a taxi. After I dragged her into the cab, she continued to wail and scream from the pain. The taxi driver recognized this and began to swerve in and out of traffic to get the medical clinic as soon as possible. The biggest thing that I was concerned about was what the people on the streets were thinking when we drove by as Renee's painful screams were oddly similar to very suggestive and inappropriate screams. Basically I tried not to make eye contact with people when we would stop at stoplights.


When we arrived at the clinic, they gave her some pain meds, but decided it was best to send her to the inpatient hospital. So they called up an ambulance to take her to the hospital. The ambulances here are nothing like the ones in the States, rather the are eerily similar to the 1991 Toyota Previa pictured above. After loading her in I noted that the only equipment they had in the ambulance/minivan was a defibrillator, so if anything went wrong we were not going to be in good condition. The other thing I noted was that Renee's feet were right at the back door, which, much like the Previa's backdoor, was made up of 5 inches of some kind of light metal, so a hit from the back would basically paralyze my wife for life, now that's the kind of ambulance I really feel safe in.
Anyway, after being in and out of the hospital this whole week, I am happy to say that my wife is home. Now she still has some kidney stones to pass, but she is not in too much pain.

No comments: