Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thems Be Fighn' Words


Basically, in the first two years of being here in China, I rarely saw fights break out (actually I can't remember ever seeing on). Then, all of the sudden, over the past couple of months I have been seeing fights breaking out in various different places. I have already mentioned in a previous post the fight that broke out on the subway.

The next fight that I witnessed was at a bank when I was trying to pay Renee's taxes. This was between one of the guards at the bank and a customer. It got to the point that the customer flicked the hat off the guard and then punches began to fly. It was actually pretty interesting because all the people in the place seemed to keep minding their own business even though these two guys were going at it. Finally another guard and the guy's wife were able to break things up, but not before choice words were exchanged.

The next fight I was witness to was in between some real estate agents that were trying to get customers. This was actually the most interesting fight of them all. To give some quick background, landlords can list with multiple agents and they can list their properties at different prices, so actually it is even more of a competition between agents here to get the places rented or sold because you don't just list with one agent. Moving on, it appeared that one group of agents standing on one corner of the street took offense to another agent passing by them and the 3 agents at the corner began beating on the 1 agent passing by. Seeing that he was outnumbered, the 1 agent ran off into his office. I started to ride off thinking that it was over when all of the sudden the one agent emerged with 5 or 6 other agents from his office. This is when the brawl began. Now that the 3 agents were outnumbered, the 5 or 6 began doing some WWE moves on these 3 guys including one of the agents picking up their portable white board and slamming it over the other guy's back (classic) while two other guys stomped on one guys back and face. Renee and I had bought some groceries so we had to get home to get them in the fridge, but the fight was breaking up as we were leaving.

I am not writing this to say that China is becoming more violent, it could have just been that I was in the right place at the right time, but more then anything I am just noting how weird it is that in 3 months I have seen 3 fights, whereas the previous 24 months I saw 0.

No comments: