Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Viva La Vida means "Just Okay"


It actually means Live the Life (or long live life) and it refers to Coldplay's newest CD. Am I a music critic, no, but I thought I would add my two cents about their newest album just because that is what a blog is for. So after 1 week of listening, I think I am finally ready to talk about it. I am a huge Coldplay fan (yes me and the millions of 17 year old girls all around the world), actually Chris Martin's enthusiasm while on stage is actually something that I really enjoy watching (note that this is hard to do while listening to a CD).


Anyway, onto what I thought about the CD. As I said in the title, it was just okay. There are people that really slammed this album as being terrible, note that it is slightly different from their previous CD's, but it is not terrible. The music is actually pretty good, but the one thing that knocks it down are some of the weak lyrics weaved throughout the songs. It appeared that on almost every song, the band was trying to experiment, so, besides the theme of life and death, there is really not too much fluency that connects the songs together. It seems like a mish mosh of different songs thrown together to make an album. I was really worried about the album when I heard the first two singles (Violet Hill and Viva La Vida - by the way is anyone else as confused as to why this is a hit song?). But the rest of the album is better then those two singles, although I am not sure many of the songs will translate into radio hits like tracks from previous albums. I would like to see Coldplay build on some of the things they present in this album for future albums, but I hope they can see some of the faults in this one to move forward.


Overall I give the album 2.5 out of 5 gerken pickles. (note that Coldplay's 2nd album "A Rush of Blood to the Head" would have received 4.5 out of 5, Parachutes would have received 4 out of 5, and X&Y would have received 3.5 out of 5).

1 comment:

Katie said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was dissapointed! Although I do agree with you - they do put on a great live show!