Wednesday, May 7, 2008

My NFL Draft


I was lucky enough to be back in the States to actually be able to watch the draft. I was busy, but found the time to watch a lot of the first and second round. Again, I cannot emphasize this enough, I understand that the draft actually doesn't mean anything because the players have done nothing in the NFL, but I really enjoy the intrigue of how a team will draft to build itself up for the future. I only got to watch ESPN and I was a little disappointed with the coverage. Don't get me wrong, the 10 minutes in between picks was great, I was very happy with that, but the coverage just seemed really weak. They seemed to make it a thing to show the players answering their phone before the pick (sometimes a long time before the pick), I mean what happened to the element of surprise behind the pick. Oh well, it was still fun to watch, I just hope they tweak some of the things next year to allow me not to know every pick before it is announced.

As for the Ravens, my boys, they went with a QB in the first round, Joe Flacco. I remember back in 2003 when he was drafted, I got a phone call from my good buddy Ray. He was pretty excited that the Raven's took Kyle Boller, I tried to calm his excitement by basically saying that Boller would never be a good QB in the NFL. Needless to say, I was right about this assessment, so I only feel like it is right to make an assessment on the future with Flacco. I did not receive a call with excitement over this pick, but then again, that may have been because people thought I was in China. As for Flacco, I don't think he is the next John Elway or Peyton Manning, rather he reminds me a lot of a QB like Brad Johnson. He is the type of guy that can make a career out of being a QB in the NFL, he won't be a hall of famer, but could become a guy that ends up starting as a QB on teams that struggle at the QB position. Brad Johnson actually won a superbowl so his career wasn't terrible, but he was never seen as being a dominant quarterback like a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady (note that Johnson was drafted in the ninth round so he didn't have much pressure to actually succeed). So I think getting Flacco in the first round is a little bit of a stretch, but, more then anything, I hope I was wrong. To be honest, I am actually more excited about their second round pick, Ray Rice from Rutgers, I really think he can make an impact with the Ravens.

No comments: