Sunday, February 3, 2008

Who Is She?

Maddie and I had an Abbott and Costello type of moment last week one night after work. I got home and said my regular hello's to all in the house when Maddie came running up to tell me about her time at the playground. I will put the following into a narration format, so you can get an idea of why I was so confused. When Maddie was done with the story she ended with:

Maddie: and when we left is she said goodbye.
Me: Oh that's great Maddie, (I didn't actually think anything in the story was great, rather I was just trying to give her positive reinforcement) so who is she that said goodbye?
Maddie: No dad, is she said goodbye to us at the playground.
Me: Who is she that said goodbye to you at the playground?
Maddie: Is she said goodbye to us at the playground.
Me: Okay, but what is the girl's name that said goodbye to you at the playground?
Maddie: Dad, is she said goodbye to us at the playground.

Maddie then looked at me as if an alien had just landed on my head and went running off to play some more. I also felt as if an alien had just landed on my head, so I asked Renee who the girl was at the playground that said goodbye to them and Renee replied it's Maddie's playrground friend named Ishi, at which point I just felt like sitting down for a couple of minutes to let my brain rest.