Thursday, October 18, 2007

Oh what the kids'll say...

Maddie is at an age where she really is learning a lot and she is able to express in words some of the things that she learned. This morning while my wife was getting dressed, Maddie looked up at her and causally said, "Babies suck on boobs." While definitely true, my wife immediately looked at me and said, "why would you teach her that." In regards to any statements that are a little off color or that relate to random things (like nursing a baby), my wife immediately thinks that I taught our daughter the statement. Well, I didn't teach her this tidbit (not sure why it would even come up in a conversation between a dad and a 3 year old) and to prove it to my wife, I asked Maddie how she found out about this.

Turns out that in the nursery on this past Sunday there was a girl who is about 1 1/2 years old that started to cry and the mom took her and started to breast feed her. Regardless of the fact that the child being breast fed is a little old, (although I have heard of kids up until first grade getting breast fed, can you imagine this, the kids is playing soccer in the park and they just run up to their mom for a fill up, kind of creepy) I guess Maddie watched how the mom was able to sooth this child by having them suck on the breast and was able to decipher that women's breasts can be used, as she put it, "like a bottle." So a perfectly good explanation for how my daughter learned this act and she definitely got me off the hook.

3 comments:

Awesome Yankee Fan said...

hahaha i don't believe that story for a bit, maddie was fully capable of telling you how she arrived at that conclusion??? no way

Matt said...

Yes, Maddie was able to fully explain to us how she figured it out. It's kind of scary how she hears or sees something and then repeats it to us, we are spending all our time asking her where she learns half the things she says.

Awesome Yankee Fan said...

HAHAHA she is way too smart! You are definitely going to have to watch out for her, pretty soon you are going to be wondering how she got smarter than you...reminds me of someone I know, hmmm