Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I am not Lance Armstrong

After my ride to the ocean, I decided that it would be nice to go out each morning and do some long distance sprints around Century Park, which is not too far away from our apartment. Monday morning was my first ride. I noticed that basically the people that were around Century Park were either running or walking for exercise, some were doing their morning Tai Chi, and then you had your people on their bikes heading to work. Now I was so excited cause I loved blowing past the other people on their bikes. I felt like I should just march over to Paris and enter the Tour De France...might as well hand me a yellow jersey right now.

This morning I was, again, enjoying blowing by the locals on the bike when I was humbled. I was going at a pretty good pace when all of the sudden I feel this rush of wind come blowing by me and I am looking at the backside of another fellow bike rider. Seriously, he had legs that rival the trunks of baby redwoods, and I think he was actually going faster then some cars. Needless to say, my dreams of a yellow jersey were shattered and I was brought back to reality that I am truly just a casual biker...Oh well.

As a side note, I was nearing the end of my ride and was woozy from my ride, I rounded a corner and all the sudden a beam of light from the sky was shining on this object that was all too familiar to me. It was an American Football, and yes it was sitting right there in the bushes for me to take back home. As I paced closer and closer my excitement grew only to come crashing back down when I realized that it was the top of a fire hydrant. I guess it was a good thing I didn't reach my hand down to try to swipe it while riding as that could have been somewhat of a bloody mess.

No comments: