Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Huangshan Part2

After about 7 hours in total of going up and down stairs, climbing up the mountain and exploring the peaks, my legs were yelling for mercy so I headed to my hotel at the peak of the mountain to sleep. The hotel had a nice room, but it was absolutely freezing in the room. The top of the mountain was about-10 degrees Celsius which is about 14F and my room felt like it was somewhere between 30 and 40 degrees, so needless to say it was cold. I took both thick blankets from the two beds in the room to cover me up and slept in as many clothes as I could. After being under the covers my body heat was helping to warm up the bed so I finally got comfortable enough to go to sleep.


The next morning I headed out for my journey down the mountain. I knew it wasn't going to be easy when I walked down 2 steps in the front of my hotel and my legs were in pain. 2 steps down about a couple thousand more to go. I went back up to explore the peaks some more and then began to head down the West Side steps of the Mountain. The west side was neat (the part of it I saw) and after passing the cable car, I went back to the cable car to take it down the west side as I didn't think I could make it down the whole west side of steps in one piece. I don't think I have many fears, but I think cable cars going down the sides of mountains may be one of my fears. It was a little scary when you leave the cable car station and it feels like there is nothing around you except the cable holding you up. I am totally fine with ski lifts, but for some reason with the wind rocking my car around and there just being a feeling like if something goes wrong, I'm a goner. So it wasn't the most pleasant cable car ride, but I was happy when we arrived at the station at the bottom of the mountain.


I was supposed to have a driver waiting for me at the bottom that was going to be taking me around to the small towns around the mountain area, but the guy never showed up and didn't answer his phone when I tried to call him. I wasn't mad because the mountain was really all I needed to see on the trip and it really could be all that I needed to see for a whole year of trips. So I just retraced my steps to get back to Tunxi in order to catch my flight. Needless to say, my legs were hurting, I was exhausted, but it was a GREAT GREAT trip.

No comments: