Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Bahamas

So as I said in my last post, a part of my long almost 18,000 mile journey took me to the Bahamas. This was my first time to the Bahamas and I have to say that it was quite enjoyable. We stayed at the Sheraton Cable Beach about 15 minutes from the Nassau airport. I had read a bunch of complaints about the hotel, but I actually thought it was not too bad. The beach was nice and the facilities were not so bad. The whole point in my family and I going all the way from Shanghai to the Bahamas was to attend my younger sister's wedding. The wedding ceremony was set out on the beach and it was going great until right before the ceremony was wrapped up it started to rain (actually I decided to do a post of the 3 pictures that define the moments before and after the rain hit, so click here to see that post). We all started to joke that we had heard of the bride and/or groom running away because of cold feet, but had never heard of everyone at the wedding running away. The scene was great because it started to drizzle a little bit, but at one point I looked out and noticed that there was a whole bunch of rain coming our way. Once the rain really started to fall everyone got up out of their seats and made a mad dash for the gazebo where the wedding reception was going to take place, this was before the wedding ceremony had concluded with the, "I do's" and the "I now pronounce you husband and wife." I'm sure it was not the way that my sister envisioned it, but at least it will be a memorable story.

I didn't have much time in the Bahamas, but, besides all the swimming that we did, I did get to go out and do a short snorkelling trip. The snorkelling was just okay, but before going back to the beach the "captain" of the boat said that we could look for conch shells. So he tied a rope to the back of his boat and three of us grabbed onto the rope and he basically just towed us back of his boat as we looked at the bottom of the ocean for conch shells (the water was bout 12 feet deep so we were towed on the surface looking down). After about 10 minutes we started to find the shells and I gave mine to my younger sister and her new husband, so all in all, it was a good (but short) trip.

No comments: