Thursday, July 31, 2008

Food-Extravaganza

One last thing about my San Francisco trip was some of the goods eats that I got while I was there (and not busy).

In n Out Burger – Proclaimed by many to be one of the best (if not the best) fast food burger out there. Actually the last time I went to In n Out I was a little disappointed by the regular Double Double. Not to be one that just gives up on places, I decided to venture towards the not so "secret" menu and get a Double Double Animal Style. This was my first night back in the US and it didn't disappoint, in fact I was thoroughly impressed. This thing had all the right things in all the right places (wait, am I talking about a hamburger?). This burger put me back on the In n Out bandwagon, I can't wait for my next one.

Darby Dan's – I usually stay in South San Francisco (SSF) when I go to the US and, in addition to the city being the self proclaimed "birthplace of biotechnology," it is also a hub for really good HUGE deli sandwiches (see the picture, not taken by me). Now I am not saying they can compete with the folks in NYC, but these sandwiches each come with their own personality and one of the places that I have glommed onto is Darby Dan's. This time around I went for the Sleeper, which is basically turkey, ham, provolone and bacon with all the weird fixin's this place puts on their sandwiches. This is by far one of the best sandwiches I have ever had, it was absolutely stupendious. If you happen to flying into SFO airport (which is also in SSF), you might want to make a quick detour to this place, it is a true experience.

Patxis Pizza – Chicago deep dish pizza right in the heart of…Palo Alto? Okay, maybe not the mecca of Chicago deep dish, but these guys must have spent some time in the windy city as they know what they are doing. For me, the Chicago deep dish is all about great sauce and great crust and this place is doing a good job with both of those. My only complaint is the crust is a little salty, not sure if it supposed to be, but I almost remember seeing deer outside the shop licking a pile of crust…oh well, this was another solid choice.

La Tapatia – In a land where there is no even halfway decent Mexican food, I come back to the states with Mexican food on the mind. La Tapatia is a tacqueria in SSF that is leaps and bounds above any kind of Mexican I can get on the east coast (China of course I can't get anything good). This time around I decided on the carne asada burrito, and this was a great choice. Everything that I could wish after living in the desert of Mexican food, very delightful.

So if you are ever in the bay area, all of the places noted above would make for a good stop, too bad when I am living in China I am over 6,000 miles away from these places and when I live in the US I am over 3,000 miles away from these place…oh well.

No comments: