Thursday, January 15, 2009

All in Perspective


As a result of all the flying that I have been doing as of late (I guess you can just look through some of my posts as of late and that should give you an idea), I was able to accumulate a bunch of miles. This has enabled me to do trips here and there (like the Tokyo trip) and has also given me some other benefits that include getting passes to stay in the classy airline lounges (for United they are referred to as Red Carpet Clubs). Not being much of a flyer before these adventures, this is the first time that I have had the opportunity to be in a lounge at the airport. I got the airport early before leaving, so I decided to use one of my passes and spend my time in the lounge. I really didn't know what to expect when I went in, but I thought the lounge was nice. It was really big (could probably seat around 1,500 people) and had lots of different amenities like free internet, free food and drinks, and some other things that cater to a traveller. I was actually pretty impressed by the place.

I guess it was all put in perspective when another traveller sat behind me with a friend and he immediately started to complain about how bad the lounge was. In fact all he did was complain about how bad the lounge was for his whole time there. I guess this guy doesn't often sit out with the regular people waiting for the planes because if he did he would see that he has it pretty good in these lounges. Granted he was comparing it to the Singapore Airline lounges (which anything related to Singapore Airlines is going to be 10 times better then anything related to United) so he might be justified, but if compares it to not being in the lounge, I can't imagine someone who would complain. I guess it is all about a person's perspective on things.

No comments: